The Barrow County School System is offering a limited number of seats in the Barrow Online Campus (BOC) for Spring 2022. Eligible students who are interested in working virtually from home can apply for enrollment through BOC. The deadline to apply is November 19, 2021, at 4 p.m.
Please note, this opportunity is only open to students in the 7th through 12th grades.
BOC uses Georgia Virtual School (GAVS), which means that students are taking classes mostly asynchronously with teachers across the state. Courses typically include a one-hour live session once per week but will require students to work independently every day to be successful.
Please note that GAVS is highly rigorous with strict deadlines. Students must be motivated to complete their work every day and remain focused on school work for 6-8 hours every day in order to be academically successful. The time investment is the same as for a typical in-person classroom, just structured differently.
CONSIDERATIONS FOR BARROW ONLINE CAMPUS:
- Enrollment at Barrow Online Campus is a commitment for the remainder of the school year. Therefore, it is critical that families are confident in their decision to enroll in online learning. The commitment to register for Barrow Online Campus does not extend beyond the 2021-2022 school year.
- Students will be taught using a largely asynchronous platform. The teachers employed through Georgia Virtual School are certified teachers, but live and work throughout the state, and may have other responsibilities preventing them from being available at all times.
- Course offerings are limited, and will not necessarily match the courses offered via in-person instruction. In particular, elective and pathway courses will differ considerably. You may view the available courses at GAVS Course Catalog.
- Once students have been admitted into BOC, information will be sent to families regarding class selections and directions for updating enrollment processes. Students are responsible for enrolling in their own courses. Assistance and guidance are available on request, but ultimately the student is responsible for selecting their courses.
- Parents may select to apply for enrollment at BOC for one child (grades 7-12) if they feel it best serves that child and choose to have another child attend in person. Applications will be considered on an individual basis, and students will be selected on their own merits, not those of people residing in the same household.
- Students that enroll in BOC will be responsible for providing their own device and securing reliable access to the Internet. It is vitally important that students have consistent access to high-speed internet and up-to-date devices that can handle modern instructional methods.
Families who wish to apply for Spring Semester at Barrow Online Campus will need to complete the online application for admission by November 19 at 4 p.m. Families will be notified of their admission status on approximately December 6, 2021.
Barrow Online Campus Application Form Spring 2022