BCSS Science and Engineering Fair
The BCSS Science and Engineering Fair (BSEF) has been a long-standing component of the school system’s Innovative Teaching & Learning Program, providing students with an opportunity to engage in authentic scientific and engineering practices.
Middle and high school students have an opportunity to complete a science or engineering project independently or as a member of a multi-student team. Students should be mentored by either a parent, teacher, or other responsible adult sponsor throughout the process in order to make certain that all the required experimental procedures are followed. This adult mentorship is very important to ensure the integrity of the project as well as the safety of the student. In addition to the adult sponsor, the BCSS Director of Innovative Learning will serve as the primary supervisor for the BSEF competition, and will communicate all guidelines, expectations, deadlines, forms, and all other necessary information to participating students.
This page serves as the primary hub for information pertaining to the competitive Science & Engineering Fair System that aligns the system-level fair (BSEF) to the Northeast Georgia Regional Fair (NEGA RSEF) and to the state (GSEF) and international fairs (ISEF).
All students who are interested in conducting scientific research and qualifying for regional or statewide science and engineering fairs, as well as their adult sponsors, must follow the International Rules for Pre-College Science Research. Proper protocol and prior approvals will be required for all students to be eligible to compete at the system, regional, and state fairs.
IMPORTANT FAIR DATES FOR 2022-23
- BSEF Registrations Due - September 30, 2022
- Preliminary BSEF Forms Due Prior to Experimentation - October 31, 2022
- All Final BSEF Forms Due – December 9, 2022
- BSEF 2023 Interviews & Project Judging - December 19 -21, 20222
- NEGA RSEF Registration Deadline – January 9, 2023
- NEGA RSEF 2022 – January 13, 2023 @ Oconee Civic Center
- GSEF Registration Deadline - February 2, 2023
- GSEF 2022 – March 30 - April 1, 2023 @ The Classic Center, Athens, GA
Guidelines for Teachers & Students – This document provides a step-by-step process to ensure your project and forms are done in the right order to be competitive at the system level and beyond.
BSEF Junior Division Scoring Rubric – This is the scoring rubric used to assess projects by middle school students in grades 6-8.
BSEF Senior Division Scoring Rubric – This is the scoring rubric used to assess projects by high school students in grades 9-12.
ISEF Rules & Guidelines – This document is helpful for students as they prepare to compete in any level Science and Engineering Fair.
ISEF Rules Wizard – Every student should visit this site prior to beginning their experimentation. This rules wizard asks several questions about the nature of the project plan and experimental design and provides the student with a specific list of forms and safety checks that must take place in order for the project to meet the rules requirements for BSEF, RSEF, GSEF, and ISEF.
Fillable PDF Forms are now available! New this year. Use these to avoid having to print out hard copies of all those pesky forms.
GSEF Website – Follow this link to visit the website for the State Science & Engineering Fair for the State of Georgia. Along the right-hand side of the site, you can find some of the most helpful documents available: Forms Checklists, Rules and Guidelines, and other forms.
- All students should run their project plans through the online ISEF Rules Wizard and complete all the required forms before they perform their experiments. Skipping this step will result in a project not progressing beyond the System Fair.
- Project-specific questions about forms and using the rules wizard should be directed to Lee Bane before the students begins experimentation.
- Students should always keep personal copies of all their forms and paperwork.
2021 Barrow Science & Engineering Fair Results
Congratulations to the following students whose Gold Medal Projects advanced to the Northeast Georgia Science & Engineering Fair.
Emma Pitman, RMS
Natalie Mays, RMS
2021 Northeast Georgia Regional Science & Engineering Fair Results
- Emma Pitman, Gold Medal
- Natalie Mays, Silver Medal & Northeast Georgia Section American Chemical Society Award Winner
2021 Georgia State Science & Engineering Fair Results
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.