Over the last two years, the Barrow County School System has been able to provide free, nutritious meals to our children due to the USDA waivers associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. These federal waivers have enabled BCSS to
- Provide free breakfast and lunch to all students in schools
- Provide free meal bags to anyone age 18 or younger when schools were closed
- Provide free meal bags to students enrolled in virtual learning
These waivers are set to expire on June 30, 2022, unless Congress extends the USDA's authority for the waivers between now and then.
If the waivers are not extended, then the BCSS School Nutrition Program will resume its meal program prior to COVID-19.
Families will be encouraged to complete the Free or Reduced Meals form to determine eligibility for the 2022-2023 school year. We will email you again when applications are available online in July.
Families should plan on the following for the next school year:
- Breakfast will still be served at no cost to all students.
- School lunch meals should be paid for in advance or at the time of purchase.
- Barrow County School System does not allow school lunch charges except in unusual circumstances.
- Elementary and middle school students will only be allowed to charge for up to 5 meals. After this, an alternative meal will be provided.
- High school students and adults are not allowed to charge for any meals. An alternative meal will be offered to the student.
Thank you for your understanding as we readjust our program based on federal funding.