About Barrow County School System
Barrow County School System: Boldly Committed to Student Success
Ensuring an exceptional education that leads each student to become a high-achieving and responsible citizen
Barrow County School System is the 24th largest school system in Georgia with 1,800 full- and part-time employees, including more than 900 teachers and other certified personnel, who work in 19 schools, programs, and administrative buildings.
As a growing metro-Atlanta suburban community of about 81,000 residents, Barrow County is an hour east of Atlanta and 30 minutes west of Athens. Barrow County School System operates as a Charter System, which allows flexibility from many one-size-fits-all state education requirements. The charter system status enables our district to invest in BOLD innovative instructional practices and focus on "Building Our Learning Differently."
During the 2022-2023 school year, approximately 14,000 students will attend classes in 9 elementary schools, 4 middle schools, 3 high schools and 3 innovative programs.
To fully realize our student-centered vision and mission, Barrow County School System pursues strategic goals in four key areas:
Academics & Student Success
Elevating the Teaching Profession
Communications & Culture
Finances & Infrastructure
We believe a quality school system ...
- Provides a world class education in a safe and caring environment which assures each student’s success
- Enhances individual student achievement through real-world experiences and active learning
- Challenges students to exceed local, state, and national academic standards
- Nurtures the total well-being, independence, creativity, and talents of each student enabling them to be postsecondary and/or workforce ready
- Motivates students to develop exceptional critical thinking, reasoning, problem-solving and communication skills
- Prepares students to be technologically literate
- Develops continuous, collaborative relationships with students, parents, business partners, mentors and other community members
- Respects diversity and promotes cultural understanding among all students and employees in every environment
- Expects all school system employees to recognize that they are a major influence on our students
The State of the Schools highlights achievements from the previous school year and looks ahead with Strategic Plan priorities.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.