The Partners in Education program is a voluntary and collaborative partnership between an organization and the Barrow County School System. The program began in 1991 as Akins Ford joined us to develop partnerships that would link the community and the school system. This program continues to bring businesses and schools together for a common goal: giving children a well-rounded education.
Dr. McMichael and Shenley Rountree celebrated our District Partners in Education for the past year at the Barrow Chamber of Commerce First Tuesday Lunch on June 5. These organizations have participated in the BCSS four-star program where they supported student achievement, appreciated teachers & staff, and invested in our community with their involvement. Read about our PIE program.
Below are just a few highlights of each organization’s involvement and contributions to our school system for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Founding member of the Partner in Education Program with the Chamber of Commerce in 1991
- Sponsored Teacher and Staff Appreciation breakfasts across the school district this Spring
- Sponsor our FFA programs and provide F250 Trucks to use for FFA competitions and events
- Organize the Annual Celebrity Basketball Game at Statham Elementary School
- Leader and sponsor of the successful Apalachee High School Leader Academy with Ms. Jennifer Martin
- Class of 2022 student achievement recognition during graduation practice in May
- Provide dessert digital offer coupons for Student Achievement in all schools and programs
- Also appreciate our Teachers and Staff with digital offer coupons
- Hosted Back to School Bash with Barrow Family Connection to provide over 900 filled book bags with needed school supplies for BCSS students
- Appreciated all teachers and staff with Java Joy coffee throughout the district
- Hosted Fall Community Field Day for all children and Foster Parent Night Date Night
- Student Ministry Team provides ongoing support for all schools throughout the year
- Bank OZK works with individual schools on their needs and on specific projects
- Provided mini-wallet size diplomas for Class of 2022 graduates
- Provided golf-cart for school use on our large BASA campus
- Sponsor of the culinary arts students of Simasations Restaurant in Habitat for Humanity’s Chili Cook-Off. The students won several awards!
- JEMC Bright Ideas Teacher Grants totaling $12,520.00 for BCSS educators
- Sponsorship of the Chamber’s Students of the Month program
- Sponsorship of BCSS Mentoring and PIE programs
- Sponsorship of multiple Teacher and Employee Programs to assist in recruitment and retention of Barrow’s BEST educators
Northeast Georgia Medical Center Barrow
- Sponsorship of the annual Tar Wars, a Tobacco Free Education Program for all 4th and 5th grade students
- Provided all disposable supplies for every BCSS Nursing Clinic across the district
- Sponsorship of BASA Life and Health Science Program
- Conducted Operation Sweet Treat this spring for Teachers Appreciation at all schools
Piedmont Regional Library System (3 Barrow Libraries in Auburn, Statham and Winder)
- PLAY Card with BCSS in which students can use their student ID to check out books and materials through our local branches
- Key Partner in the Barrow Literacy Partnership, formerly the Barrow Book Partnership, program promoting early literacy skill development in our Birth to age 5 children
- Collaboration on the 1st ever “library video field trip” and lessons for Pre-K and Kindergarten students
- Provided $9800 in innovative Teacher and Classroom $500 mini-grants through the Zaxby’s Urgency to Serve grants that impacted 6879 students
- Sponsorship of REACH Scholars Program and grant for a Chromebook for REACH Scholar use
- Provided incentives for student achievement in literacy, math, and PBIS which promotes positive behavior
Barrow County Farm Bureau
- Promoted Agriculture Education with hands-on classroom visits, Ag related book donations to BCSS media centers, and donation of seeds for school gardens
- Sponsor all of our schools’ FFA programs
- Scholarships of $6000 for 3 seniors in Class of 2022 who will be pursuing Ag related career
- Teacher of the Year Program sponsor
WJBB Radio FM 107.1
- On-Air and Social Media promotion of school events, programs, and successes during school year
- Community Spotlight for programs and non-profits providing assistance for Barrow families dealing with food insecurity and other challenges.
- Long-time Mentor for BCSS students and Mentor Program advocate and supporter
- Guest emcee for Fashion Show benefitting BCSS students
- Lead sponsor of New Teacher Appreciation bags in conjunction with Barrow Family Connection
- Leadership, graduation and the successful inaugural year for Youth Leadership Barrow 2021-22 with the Chamber, and BCSS work-based learning coordinators Tywanda Jackson and Miranda Deaton.
- BCSS Robotics Team Program sponsor and Makerspace sponsor at Center for Innovative Teaching along with providing FTC regulation competition field for Robotics competitions.
Thank you again to each of our District Partners in Education.