New Teacher Induction Program
New teachers are expected to perform the same duties as a veteran teacher from the moment they step into the classroom. The BCSS Induction Program serves to bridge the gap between initial preparation and the realities of teaching in your own classroom.
Whether new teachers are recent college graduates or coming from industry through an alternative certification program, we are dedicated to providing support for a long and successful career in education.
The purpose of the Induction Program is to orient the novice teacher to our educational environment. We will share the vision of the profession by modeling and encouraging best practices through collaboration, collegiality, and participation in a professional learning community. Our Induction program is centered on six primary goals:
- To improve teaching performance.
- To increase the retention of promising teachers in the early years of their careers.
- To communicate the norms and culture of the school system.
- To develop collegiality among all staff.
- To promote the personal and professional well-being of beginning teachers.
- To involve experienced teachers in the transmission of skills, knowledge, and values to beginner teachers.
All new teachers in Barrow County School System are enrolled in the one-year Teacher Induction Program. The program includes a combination of structured activities and formal mentoring for teachers.
- Every first-year teacher will be provided with a mentor for a minimum of one year. Mentors will help support teachers with every day needs and provide feedback on lessons throughout the year.
- Bi-Monthly Group Meetings for teachers in the Induction Program will offer support among new teachers.
- Each school will also host professional learning sessions on the BCSS Best Practices and Frameworks. The sessions should be as specific to their content/grade level as possible.
- Content specific area training will also be provided for all teachers. Here are some examples: Guided Reading and Writing, Cognitively Guided Instruction, Balanced Literacy, Content and Pedagogical Training, Best Practices for (content) Education.
The Barrow County School System does not discriminate in the educational and employment policies under which it operates and will comply with all laws relating to employment.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.