Dexter Mosley Act
Under the Dexter Mosley Act, home study students in grades six through 12 are eligible to participate in extracurricular and interscholastic activities in the Barrow County School System (BCSS).
To participate, home study students shall complete at least one qualifying course during any semester the student participates in an extracurricular or interscholastic activity. A “qualifying course” means an on-site course, an online course facilitated by BCSS, or a dual enrollment course. Participation is only available at the public school in which a home study student would be enrolled based on his or her residence.
To enroll a home study student in at least one BCSS course in order to participate in extracurricular and interscholastic activities, please complete the online "Participation Declaration Form" below. You may also download and print the form to complete it. Once you have completed the form, Dr. Al Darby, Chief Administrative Officer, will contact you with details.
Please note: Families interested in enrolling under the Dexter Mosely Act must complete the same online enrollment application as full-time BCSS students.
Deadlines to Apply:
- Fall Semester 2023: July 3, 2023
- Spring Semester 2024: Dec. 8, 2023
Items Needed for Registration:
- Certified Birth Certificate
- Shot Record on Department of Human Resources Form 3231
- Certificate of Ear, Eye and Dental Examinations - Department of Human Resources Form 3300
- Completed Preparticipation Physical Evaluation - Download Form Here
- Proof of Residency
- A copy of the student's social security card or signed waiver
- A copy of the student’s most recent annual progress assessment report
- Written statement by the home study program instructor that verifies the student is currently receiving a passing grade in each home study course, is maintaining satisfactory progress toward advancement and meets the requirements for participation in the specified activity
No Home School Students should attend workouts, practices, or competitions until they are fully enrolled with BCSS.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.