Our Transportation team is happy to provide school bus service for more than 13,000 students with over 160 buses serving more than 266 routes and covering more than 3.7 million miles a year. Most drivers have an elementary school route and a middle, high school route. Some drivers may serve several schools in both their morning and afternoon routes, along with providing transportation for field trips and athletics.
bus Route Information:
- Buses shall not be routed down a street or highway that does not have a satisfactory turnaround or is otherwise unsafe for bus travel.
- Buses are not to be routed on private property (this includes most mobile home parks and apartment complexes).
- The Director of Transportation may make an adjustment in bus stop location to eliminate unsafe or hazardous conditions.
- School bus routes are established during the summer before school starts each year.
- Routes will be adjusted as needed after school begins to make the routes effective and efficient.
- Bus stops on the routes are not always the same as the previous year.
- Safety of bus riders is always our greatest concern.
- Review bus safety rules with your child and stress the necessity of observing them.
- Make sure your child is at the bus stop five minutes early. Rushing increases the chance of accident.
- Remind your child to walk on the shoulder of the road on the way to the bus stop, where possible, and not on the traveled portion of the road.
- Remind your child to wait 12 feet off the road at their assigned bus stop, wait for the bus drivers signal and always look before crossing the road.
- Students should not move toward the bus until the bus and all traffic have stopped. Students should stop and look before crossing the road when preparing to board or depart the bus. It is very important to look - do not expect approaching traffic to stop. Your child should never move from the bus or assigned bus stop until the driver has given them the signal to do so.
School transportation is provided following student transportation policies and procedures established by the State Board of Education and the Barrow County Board of Education.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.