The Barrow County School System Board of Education voted to approve the Apalachee Rezoning Committee's recommendations at their Feb. 7 meeting.
The committee met four times, set rezoning criteria, considered seven options, and reviewed public input. They recommended the following:
- Elementary Option 3-1 (map below)
- Middle School Hybrid Option (map below)
This option does not maintain the feeder school format which means some elementary schools will feed into more than one middle school.
- Grandfathering Options for Rising 5th, 7th and 8th Graders
- Rising 5th graders would be allowed to stay-put but must provide their own transportation.
- Rising 7th and 8th graders would be allowed to stay-put but must provide their own transportation.
- Siblings would be allowed to continue with their rising 5th and 7th/8th grade siblings but must provide their own transportation.
You can review the presentation of the recommendation on our YouTube Channel or eBoard.
What are the next steps for families?
Families with students who will be rezoned to a different school will receive a letter in the next few weeks. The letter will provide more information about how to apply for a "stay-put" provision for 4th, 6th and 7th grade students.
Only students who have to change schools will receive information from the school system.
Click the images below to open a PDF. If you zoom in, you can see street names.
Please review our FAQ. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.