The Barrow County School System welcomes and encourages all students to return to in-person learning for the 2021-22 school year. We believe our students have the best learning experiences through live, face-to-face interactions with teachers. BCSS will continue to rely on guidance from the CDC and other health partners in developing plans for the continuation of in-person learning in the fall.
While we anticipate the majority of BCSS families will choose to return to face-to-face learning in the fall, a virtual learning option will be available for rising 7th to 12th-grade students who were academically successful with digital learning during the 2020-2021 school year. Eligible students can apply for enrollment through the Barrow Online Academy (BOC) to continue their online learning experience for the 2021-2022 school year. The deadline to apply is Wednesday, April 28 by 11:59 p.m.
Please note: A virtual learning option will not be available for students in elementary school for the 2021-2022 school year.
Digital learning is not optimal for every student. Some students did not do as well academically, socially, or emotionally in the digital learning environment. Parents should consider how their child did during digital learning in making their decision for the 2021-2022 school year. Please review the information on the Barrow Online Campus website to determine if this is a good option for your student.
Considerations for Barrow Online Campus:
- Enrollment at Barrow Online Campus is a year-long commitment. Therefore, it is critical that families are confident in their decision to enroll in online learning. The commitment to register for Barrow Online Academy does not extend beyond the 2021-2022 school year.
- Students may be taught by a teacher from a BCSS school other than their zoned school. Students will participate in a combination of synchronous and asynchronous learning activities.
- Course offerings may be more limited than those available for students attending school in-person. A tentative list of courses is available here. Please note, course offerings may change based on student enrollment or staffing requirements.
- Once students have been admitted into the Barrow Online Campus, information will be sent to families regarding class selections and directions for updating enrollment preferences.
- Parents may select to apply for enrollment at BOC for one child (grades 7-12) if they feel it best serves that child and choose to have another child attend school in-person.
- Students that enroll in the Barrow Online Campus will be responsible for providing their own device and securing reliable access to the internet.
Families who wish to apply for the Barrow Online Campus will need to complete the online application for admissions by Wednesday, April 28, at 11:59 p.m. Families will be notified of their admissions status by Wednesday, May 5.
No further actions are necessary for students who will return to in-person learning.