The Barrow County School System Board of Education voted to approve the Apalachee Rezoning Committee's recommendations at their Feb. 7 meeting.
The committee met four times, set rezoning criteria, considered seven options, and reviewed public input. They recommended the following:
- Elementary Option 3-1 (map below)
- Middle School Hybrid Option (map below)
This option does not maintain the feeder school format which means some elementary schools will feed into more than one middle school.
- Grandfathering Options for Rising 5th, 7th and 8th Graders
- Rising 5th graders would be allowed to stay-put but must provide their own transportation.
- Rising 7th and 8th graders would be allowed to stay-put but must provide their own transportation.
- Siblings would be allowed to continue with their rising 5th and 7th/8th grade siblings but must provide their own transportation.
What are the next steps for families?
Families with students who will be rezoned to a different school will receive a letter in the next few weeks. The letter will provide more information about how to apply for a "stay-put" provision for 4th, 6th and 7th grade students.
Only students who have to change schools will receive information from the school system.
Click the images below to open a PDF. If you zoom in, you can see street names.