We invite all high school students in Barrow County to apply to take college coursework at Sims Academy of Innovation and Technology. Transportation and academic supports are in place to ensure that all students who are eligible have the opportunity to participate.
Students who attend Winder-Barrow High School, Apalachee High School, Foothills Education Charter High School, and the Barrow Arts and Sciences Academy are eligible to apply. Sims Academy is a partnership between the Barrow County School System, Foothills Education Charter High School, and Lanier Technical College.
- ____ Complete the Sims Academy Application HERE.
- ____ Apply to Lanier Technical College HERE.
- Note: Choose “Interdisciplinary Studies” as your major if you are taking only academic courses with plans to transfer them to a different college.
- ____ Monitor your Lanier Technical College email closely for important communications from the college.
- ____ Forward acceptance email from college to your school’s College and Career Coordinator.
- ____ If needed, send official test scores. Sims staff will let you know if test scores need to be submitted.
- SAT (via College Board)
- ACT (via ACT.org)
- ____ Follow these instructions to create a GAfutures Account, complete the Dual Enrollment Application, the Dual Enrollment Funding Application, and the Parent Participation Agreement in Georgia Futures.
- Be sure to use your correct social security number and date of birth. Check your spelling.
- Enter parent/guardian email. If your parent/guardian has no email, choose “Dual Enrollment Parent Agreement” to receive a hard copy. Turn this in where you turned in your Dual Enrollment Parent Consent Form
- You must enter a CORRECT email address for a parent/guardian.
- ____ Parent completes “Dual Enrollment Parent Agreement.”
- After you have completed your section of the agreement, your parent/guardian will receive an email instructing them to complete their section of the agreement. If they have no email address, they will complete a hard copy to turn in at the high school. You will not be approved to take any dual enrollment classes until a parent/guardian completes this.
- ____ Attend a Dual Enrollment Orientation session at Sims Academy.
- AHS: Ms. Sharp, email@example.com, Career Center
- BASA: Dr. Murphy, firstname.lastname@example.org, Counseling Center at Sims
- Foothills: Mr. Wadleigh, email@example.com
- WBHS: Ms. Long, firstname.lastname@example.org, Career Center
- BCSS Dual Enrollment Coordinator: Ms. Perry, email@example.com
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.